Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My job as a wedding cake baker part 2

Following up from yesterday's post, here is the description of incident #2, that really lead to my current state of frustration and anger.

Shortly after incident #1, FC asked that my team assemble yet another wedding cake for the a smaller but still very important wedding that was coming up. This wedding is not outdoors (so no problems there) however, we once again inform FC that the requirements laid out by the bride and groom make it very likely that our cake will not be chosen as the primary wedding cake but our cake exceeds the expectations for the grooms cake but they give us the go ahead. At least we knew about this wedding in advance so we had plenty of time to come up with a LCC and sent the sample off to FC a few weeks before decision day.

Once again, feedback from the FC comes on decision day (due to intense prodding from us) and FC loves the LCC, suggests a minor tweaking, we make the change and inform FC that they (or someone they designate from flour company) have the opportunity to be added to the guest list if they would like. They thank us but decline the wedding invite and say that only a couple of members from my team (and me of course) need to be added to the guest list.

We show up at the cake tasting with the tweaked LCC and it is chosen as the groom's cake. The bride and the groom love it, their wedding planner thinks it's wonderful. I send notice to FC letting them know that the cake has been chosen as the grooms cake.

FC's response ... what, wait, did you tell me you were making a cake for this wedding, and why do you think it's okay to just make a groom's cake rather than a wedding cake?...
(my internal response: are you fucking kidding me), my actual response is to we send FC the previous chain of communication in which we warned them about the requirements of the groom and bride and the potential of being chosen as groom's cake, sent initial sampling, they offer their suggested tweaking, we re-submitted tweaked submission and their ok of the tweaked version.

FC's response... ignore proof that they did indeed know that we were submitting a cake and that we'd probably get choses as grooms cake and not wedding cake...and say even though this is only a groom's cake, you need a date from flour company to come with you, why wasn't I or someone from Flour Company added to the guest list

(my internal response: Seriously, you must be fucking kidding me). My actual response is to send FC the previous communication in which we ask whether they (or someone they designate) want to be added to the guest list, and their subsequent decline.

FC's response... ignore proof that they declined opportunity to be added to the guest list and say they'll see if there is anyone from corporate office that received an invitation and might be able to accompany me. I'm left waiting for 2 weeks and an email appears that says "Nobody from corporate office received an invitation, thus we can't provide the flour for a wedding we weren't invited to, and besides and it would be completely inappropriate for you to make a cake for a wedding for which we did not receive an invitation even if we could provide the flour.

So once again I have to withdraw LCC and of course my this is yet another ding to my reputation given that a different but connected set of bride, groom and wedding coordinator are wondering why the hell I would enter my cake into a competition if I were going to withdraw once it was chosen.

FC doesn't care. Has even said they are "sorry I'm disappointed that I can't attend the wedding'. Um... yeah, I'm not disappointed, I'm pissed! This is my reputation on the line and it could have serious implications for my professional life down the line.

The way in which I hope to salvage my reputation is by outing flour company to the respective brides, grooms, and wedding coordinators and letting them know that this was indeed out of my hands and did I have ANY control over the situation I would indeed be attending both weddings and proudly showing off my LCC. My immediate supervisors have suggested that perhaps they should write these withdrawl letters so that it's even more clear that it's out of my hands. We have a meeting next week to decide how we want to approach this.

7 comments:

PG said...

I can think of a few other names to go with the FC title....

So - are these FC's important flour producers? Can you guys cut ties with them from here on out? There is a whole flourless cake movement - maybe it's time to jump on the bandwagon :).

caroline said...

Ooooh. I get it. Especially that it's happened twice. AND that you clearly asked them if they wanted to come and they said no. It is very odd.

Yes, you should out the flour company. Yes, you should try to dabble in flourless cakes. I imagine that will be difficult...

Psych Post Doc said...

PG- me too, and don't think I haven't mentioned those names quite a few times. :) Unfortunately Flour company is the ultimate flour company and our contract is for another 3 years and it's the biggest and most important contract my cooking company has ever had. :(

Caroline- Thanks, yes the fact that it has happened twice and that they come up with a different excuse each time is really driving me nuts.

JLK said...

You definitely need to out them. I can't imagine how angry you must be that a fucking flour company is screwing with your wedding cake reputation.

Shell said...

Ugh!!! FC is beyond frustrating. I agree with your immediate supervisors. Salvaging your reputation is key. Plus silence will make it worst.

Psych Post Doc said...

Thanks for the support everyone. It really helps to be able to talk about this and I appreciate all of your comments. I've been wanting to talk about it for a while so I'm glad I figured out a way to do so.

B said...

Oh my, this all sounds awful! I hope things improve at work and that FC can get it's act together. Why have you at all if they won't let you do your job? I think the companies need to know the truth about what happened too, but what a mess! I hope that you are able to get some sort of resolve so that this doesn't happen AGAIN!