Sunday, March 14, 2010

Why yes, I do have a blog....

I have thought about posting often, but for some reason just haven't gotten around to it. I do wonder if part of the reason why I haven't blogged is that I'm having a bit of an identity crisis...well maybe not crisis but floundering. I'm not upset about it, just recognizing that my life is changing and I'm not 100% settled in who I am right now.

Here's some updates wrapped in topics I have thought about blogging about:

My life working opposite shift from my husband.
  • Primarily revolves around take out food and my DVR.
  • I spend a lot of time alone and often feel quite lonely.
5.5 months of pregnancy
  • Overall, I think it's been a pretty easy going pregnancy.
  • Luckily, I got by with very little morning sickness.
  • I am suffering from some back issues and have been in PT for about 2 months, things are going better and my PT exercises work to the point where I've been able to control the pain pretty well.
  • I found registering for baby goods way more overwhelming than registering for our wedding. Not sure what that says about me.
  • My dogs have been taken over by alien beasts, I had no idea they'd be so reactive to the fact that I'm pregnant.
  • I've been spending a lot of time thinking about what it will be like to raise a son (yes, baby is a boy) and how right it feels for hubby and I.
  • It is still a bit mind blowing (exciting but still mind blowing) that I have a human life growing inside me and that in a few short months I'll be a Mom.
Work
  • Not much has changed. 1.5 years of dealing with micromanaging high maintenance individuals has really worn me down.
  • I'm looking forward to maternity leave and will reassess my career plans in the fall.
  • I saw my undergrad, master, phd and post doc mentors at our annual conference at the end of January, all of them encouraged me to get back into the academia game. Some of them luring me in with good data and the prospect of writing up papers over the next year and getting on the job market.
  • A grad school friend just accepted a job in home city that is a job I have coveted for 2 years now, but never applied for. Still not sure how I feel about that.
I think that's it for now. If you are particularly interested in any of these topics let me know and I can write more.

7 comments:

caroline said...

Great update. I remember also floundering when I was pregnant. It was actually quite startling, as I thought I knew exactly who I was before I got pregnant. I had an idea of exactly what I would do, and it all changed. Very strange!

Psych Post Doc said...

Thanks Caroline. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the sense of foundering identity wrapped up in being pregnant.

Seeking Solace said...

Glad you are back!!!

Don't forget that it is also spring, so the pups might also have a case of spring fever!

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how much stuff changes when you are pregnant. You now have to consider this extra individual in every decision you make, I can see where that would make you question a lot.
I'm glad your health and the baby are doing well!

AnotherSocialScientist said...

Congrats - I didn't even realise you were pregnant. It must be a hugely unsettling time professionally. I've been in my job almost a yr and I swear I have less of an idea who I am now than when I started. Ad babies and hormones and I'd be a complete mess. Does having a baby come along make you value everything a little differently?

Mamabeek said...

"my life is changing and I'm not 100% settled in who I am right now"

Wow, feels as if you lifted that straight out of my head! Same here, not posting because I'm confused and have too much in my head to say anything about anything that would be clear. But then I'm not pregnant. I hope the excitement and the wonder outweigh the uncertainty overall.

Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds, as I'm sure you are too! It sounds like maternity leave will be a good step away for you. That last about the coveted job... intense. Poses all sorts of interesting questions in my mind.

Thanks for a great update!

Barbara said...

Good stuff here! I like hearing your perspective on things.