Friday, August 22, 2008

Drama

This morning DH and I decided to walk away from the house. The sellers responded to our request after the inspection with less than half of what we were asking for. DH and I just didn't think it was worth it so we called our agent to say forget it, we'll take a break and start over again.

I went to work this morning slightly heartbroken. I really wanted the house, but I agreed with DH that the sellers compensation was just not worth the amount of time, energy and money we'd have to put into the house. Not to mention the fact that many of these things need to be done before we could even more in.

Then about 3 hours into my work day I got a call from DH.... the sellers had agreed to the total amount we asked for!! They're no longer paying our closing costs but we have accepted their offer and we're getting our house!!

We'll probably close by the end of September and move in late October/early November. Yay for a new home.

7 comments:

post-doc said...

You and your DH absolutely did the right thing. I know it's heartbreaking to walk away from something you want, but it's a buyers market right now. So demanding what you need to make it a good deal is precisely the goal. And I'm so happy it worked out! Congratulations!!

Di Di said...

It's great that everything worked out and you got the house you want -- before I got to the end of your post I was thinking, they are insane to let you walk in this market. Considering the state of the housing market, it's pretty much common sense that if you get an offer within reason you should jump on it.

Anonymous said...

Yay house! I'm happy that it worked out and that you'll get your house. :)

caroline said...

Hey, you tricked me. What a good surprise ending! Good luck with the new house! Woo hoo!

Psych Post Doc said...

Katie- yes, it was such a heartbreaking morning but we did feel it was the right decision, especially with the market the way it is right now.

DiDi- I couldn't believe they were being so hardheaded. I figured they just didn't really want to sell their house.

Thanks Sassymonkey & Caroline.

PG said...

Yay! Congratulations! I'm sure it was hard for the owners to go down in price. They've probably got their original price in mind and had to come to terms with their house currently being worth no more than your offer.

B said...

Yay congrats on the new house!